Asshole of the Century

Sunday, July 13, 2008

My First Week as a Dad

The warning signs were there, which I chose to ignore: folks talking about how it takes men awhile to bond with their babies, that the early, gurgling grabber stage is not satisfying for us. And I recognize that I am a victim of the modern age, insisting on some kind of instant gratification for this decidedly long-term project Melissa and I have undertaken. But I was not prepared for the sheer drag it is going round-the-clock, day after day, with this sucking, shitting, pissing flesh bag I now call my son. At his worst as a puppy, my dog was so much less demanding, more comprehensible, more fun.

There are few more effective ways to ruin my day than to spend it in the company of women. And that’s one of the things that no one warned me about this whole baby thing, that women would soon be circling our home like sharks smelling blood, wanting to hold the baby, to feed him, to talk about how “handsome” he is. In one sense, I’m all for the visits, be they from friend, neighbor, or mother-in-law, as it means that much less time that I have to deal with my vacant-eyed lump. But all that cute baby convo has left me lurching somewhere between existential angst and the loony bin.

There’s a good man that I worked with, Nick, a proper Christian, a tosser of pints, a fan of Oingo Boingo and the Who, a father of four. When he was asked about how his night or his weekend went, Nick would typically respond with something along the lines of “I have four kids under the age of eight, how do you think it went?” Or sometimes he would opt for the more direct one-word response: “Brutal”.

At the time, I read this as the droll humor of a humble Midwesterner, not wanting to brag about being blessed with a big family. But now I wonder if there was not more than a dollop of straight talk in his comments, that maybe Nick was the only one direct enough to tell me the unvarnished truth.

And so I wonder what’s next. I’ve been told about the happiness I will feel the first time my son smiles up at me in recognition, about the 1,001 joys and surprises that await. So, at least intellectually, I am patient. But somewhere lurks the whispering suspicion that maybe it’s all a quiet conspiracy, and now that I am in on the joke, one of my friends who is a father and likes to hold court on the clever lines in “Ratatouille” or how much fun he has practicing T-ball with his son will nudge me at his next barbeque and snicker: “Gotcha”.

6 Comments:

Blogger John P. Garry said...

James,

Well, I guess congratulations are not quite in order--not yet anyway.

A more...nuanced...announcement of fatherhood I have never read.

Has the little bugger got a name?

JPG

Jul 13, 2008, 6:49:00 PM  
Blogger hundeschlitten said...

Our baby's name is Milo. Congratulations and condolences are appreciated. I'll take them both.

Jul 14, 2008, 11:42:00 AM  
Blogger John P. Garry said...

Milo? As in "Milo Goes to College"?

Interesting. The most distinctive boy's name I ever considered was "Asher."

Has Milo got a middle name?

JPG

Jul 14, 2008, 9:02:00 PM  
Blogger hundeschlitten said...

Yes, Milo as in "Milo Goes to College". Actually, that's one of three references, the other two being the main character in "The Phantom Tollbooth" (Melissa's fave book as a kid), and Kansas slang for grain sorghum.

His full name is Milo Marley. Yes, as in Bob. We asked the birth mother to suggest a middle name, and she offered Marley in honor of the Natty Dreaded one, as his music had "helped her through some tough times."

Jul 15, 2008, 3:28:00 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

i so fucking told you what it was like but you didn't listen did you?

nick was a little bit, no more than a little bit, creepy the way he disliked his kids. i think he really meant it. that was not some midwestern schtick.

Aug 13, 2008, 12:31:00 PM  
Blogger hundeschlitten said...

Yes Rob, now that I think about it, you did fucking tell me, like a prophet from over the transom. And no, I did not listen.

I'll just note that life with baby has gotten much more pleasurable over the past few weeks; Milo has his charms, and those cold, dark nights of the soul that I first faced with fatherhood have largely disappeared. But, you know, the terror I felt that first week of fatherhood was almost identical with how I felt during my first week working downtown, in corporate America. The difference being, of course, that you can always quit your job.

Speaking of which, congrats on your new gig... I hope it brings you more pleasure and stability than the last one.

Aug 13, 2008, 9:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home